Tuesday, July 1, 2014

My Review of Invisible by Cecily Anne Paterson


I will be honest and say that I wasn't sure what to expect from this book.  I honestly picked it because the cover reminded me of my home state of Tennessee and I was feeling homesick.  Sadly, I also read some of the more scathing reviews and I wondered if I had made a mistake.  I can announce to the world that I did not make a mistake and Invisible is now one of my favorite books.
I'll start with the main character, Jazmine.  I instantly loved her.  She is so real that I am automatically engaged with her and wish what's best for her.  Although she is partially deaf, this is not what defines her.  She has been through the heart wrenching tragedy of losing her father and cuts herself off from the rest of the world.  I related to her because that tragedy is all too real and I did the exact same thing.  She does slowly come out of her shell in this story and it is beautiful to watch her true self emerge.
The story itself is engaging.  Not once did I find myself bored.  I only experienced concern, sadness and an absolute joy while reading.  Also, I had the rare emotion to feel blessed to experience this story.  So, I would like to first thank Mrs. Paterson for writing such a sweet and precious story and I would like to recommend Invisible to anyone who loves Young Adult dramas or anything that is emotionally charged.

My rating: 5 stars
Book Cover rating: 5 stars  


3 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda, I just wanted to let you know that the sequel to Invisible is available now, and I'd love to send you a copy. Can you get in touch and I'll see what kind of file you'd like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, best to use the contact form on my website: www.cecilypaterson.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry that it has taken so long to get back to you. I have contacted you and hope to keep in touch with you in the future. Again, I loved Invisible. I am so happy to hear that there is a sequel!!

    ReplyDelete