Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Hanging out with the Ya-Yas...My review of Little Altars Everywhere by Rebecca Wells


I am beginning to make a habit of writing my reviews very quickly after I read a book.  It hasn't been an hour yet and I am still living in the world of the Walkers and the Ya-Yas.  So, here is a very fresh review.
The best way to describe this book is that it's the perfect balance of light and dark.  During the darkest parts, my heart bled with the pain these people have gone through but during the lightest parts, I remember what it was like to live in a small town where farmers loved their land and people appreciated the smallest joys in life.  Yes, there were moments of true horror but there were also moments where there were tenderness and love.  The only complaint I have about the story is that there were parts that passed too slowly and in those moments, I lost connection with the characters.  However, when they picked up the pace a little, I was able to regain that connection.  So, it did not ruin the book whatsoever.
The characters were rich and beautifully written.  I loved that Mrs. Wells gave chapters to different characters.  It allowed me to see their differences and see things through their eyes.  Also, you discovered what was important to each of them.  They are each lovable in their own way, though the secrets revealed makes you wonder about that love in very much the same way as the Walker children do.  Also, you find peace and happiness in the places that are most simple with each of the characters and because of this, I found them to be real and beautiful.
I truly enjoyed reading this book and I have no doubt that anyone would.  Now a small note to males...I know this seems like a book geared more toward women but I truly believe you can relate to it too and I even believe that you would enjoy it.  So, I do recommend this book for adults.  There are some subjects too sensitive for children.  However, I believe it would be a good read for anyone else.

My rating: 4.2
My book Cover Rating: 5 (Adorable)

No comments:

Post a Comment