Saturday, March 5, 2016

My Heartbreaking Review of A House Made of Stars by Tawnysha Greene



Before I go into my review of A House Made of Stars, I would like to say that I have had the honor to meet Mrs. Greene at a book signing in my home state of Tennessee.  It was there that I put A House Made of Stars on my to be read list.  I am so glad to have met her and that she introduced me to this book.  
So, I guess I'll start with the setting.  There are many places that this book travels through. They include a house on the mountain along with an apartment and a grandmother's house.  The constantly changing scenery fits the story.  It shows the heartbreak and the inconsistency of life with mental instability.  
The characters are vibrant and possess humanity that is described with rare efficiency and heart.  I lived the story with them.  I was able to feel what they felt and experience things with them.  I found myself truly caring about these characters.  It reminds me of the same feeling that I got while reading The Book Thief.  None are perfect and it's those flaws that make them beautiful like the children who are deaf and partially deaf and their mother using sign language.  It was described with such visual beauty that it will haunt me for the rest of my life.
The plot of the story is perfection.  She beautifully describes what it is like to live in a family where someone has mental problems.  She shows the pain of everyone involved.  She spins the tale in a way that is breathed and is felt with the rawest emotions.  This story is important.  It's not just told for entertainment.  It allows people to experience what a family like this goes through.  It gives people empathy.
The book as a whole is now one of my favorites.  I will cherish it forever.  I recommend this book for everyone.  I think is needed in this world.  I would give this book more than five stars.  I will say thank you to Mrs. Greene for writing it.  It is beautiful.  It truly is.

Book Rating: 5 + stars
Book Cover Rating: 5



No comments:

Post a Comment