Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Feeling Emotional with Of Mice and Men



This is one classic that I have never read.  So, I was very excited to start this adventure.  Also, I had never heard the synopsis or anything to do with this book other than references to it in movies.  I must say that it did not prepare me for what I read.  
The setting was wonderful and I learned so much from it about the lives of men who worked on ranches.  I love seeing settings that are filled with different types of people and allows me to discover a different time and place.  This setting did that.  
The characters are very vibrant.  Most of the characters were men but each were different in their own way.  They each had their own hardships and worries and that made them each real.  Because of that, I was able to see the world through their eyes and experience their lives.  My heart ached for most of these men and in most cases, I truly liked them.  There were a few characters that I disliked but they were written to be disliked.  So, Mr. Steinbeck did well when he developed these characters.  The story itself was heart-wrenching.  It was a story about dreams and broken dreams and how life intertwines with death.  It really involves all of your emotions which is what a good book does.  The characters and their stories will live with me long after reading this book.  Now, the only thing that I did have a problem with was the language.  I had to remind myself frequently that the book was written in a different time.  After jumping over that hurdle, I was able to enjoy the story.  
Finally, I do recommend this book to anyone who loves a good classic.  It really is a good story that is well-written and is able to make you become emotionally involved.  


My Rating: 4
Book Cover Rating: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment