Friday, March 13, 2015

Searching for Werewolves with Lori Handeland in Blue Moon


I love werewolf books especially werewolf romances. So, whenever I can get my hands on a werewolf book I do devour them.  Unfortunately, I am often left disappointed.  I am happy to say that this one did not leave me feeling that way at all.  So, this will be an enjoyable review.  
I'll start with the setting.  Miniwa is the perfect setting for werewolves.  It's a small town.  It's a bit of a tourist attraction but it is surrounded by forests and Native American legends.  In other words, there are plenty of dark, shadowy areas to hide in at night and it's a normal little town during the day (Except for the werewolves).  Miniwa is perfect and becomes a character in the book which is what you always look for in a good setting.  
The characters are beautifully written and absolutely believable.  I was very happy that the main character, Jessie isn't the most beautiful girl in the room.  As a matter of fact, she often describes herself as plain and so do other characters.  William Codote is beautiful inside and out but he has a vulnerability that is endearing.  I absolutely adored Edward Mandenauer's character.  Again, Mrs. Handeland is original in that he is an elderly man who fights werewolves.  Other characters such as Zelda, Clyde, Cherry and the rest of the characters in this book are very much characters that you can fall in love with.  
The story took me a minute to get into.  The very beginning dragged just a little but not enough to really bore me.  Once the action began, it kept going and I was able to be a bit more engaged.  The only part, I wish she had slowed down on is the love story.  They went from meeting to involved so quickly that you had to ask how it happened.  Still, it wasn't enough for me to focus on for too long.  The background of these characters is very interesting.  I love History and Legends and I was glad to see those intertwined in the story.  
So, the rating...I will give this book a 4.8 rating just because of the little bit of drag and then, the rush of the romance but I have high hopes that the next book will be more balanced in those areas.  I love the cover.  It's beautiful.  So, the cover gets a 5.  I do recommend this book to anyone who loves paranormal romance, werewolf romance or a story steeped in History and legend.  I would like to take the time to thank Lori Handeland for writing such a stellar book.  It's beautifully written.  

Book rating: 4.8
Cover rating: 5


No comments:

Post a Comment