Friday, August 1, 2014

Fighting for Survival with The Hunger Games


I actually did give this time to think it over before I gave a review.  This was one of those books that I was afraid to read.  Everyone seemed to love it and in my experience when it has that much hype, I usually get let down.  This is one of those books that provesthat theory wrong. I really do love the book. Suzanne Collins did something that I enjoy to read. That is she didn't shy away from the dark thing.  Instead, she dove directly into them.  I was able to engage with the story straight on.  I will also say that her choice to make the book in first person was a good one.  Otherwise, Katniss may have seemed a bit cold as a leading character. Because of first person, you can know what she's thinking.  There is plenty of action and there was some romance too.  Also, there was struggle and sacrifice.  So, there are plenty of things that help you dive into this book.  
The characters are vibrant and drastically different from each other.  They have their own motivations and character traits.  You realize that even with their faults, you love them.  For example: Yes, Haymitch was a drunk.  You understand why and you also realize he does want to help Katniss and Peeta.  He is likable even though he's flawed.  
Anyways, this book is going on my top shelf where my other favorites are.  The only people I do not recommend this book to is children.  There is too much violence.  Everyone else should definitely read it. 
I also recommend the movie.  Yes, the book is better but not by too much.  You can see that they tried to keep the book and movie close.  

My rating: 5
Book Cover rating: 5
Movie Rating: 4.5 

No comments:

Post a Comment